Thursday, April 16, 2009

We had a Visitor!






Keri was able to come for Easter. She brought her husband and his niece. I already miss her. She helped me shred chicken for Easter Enchiladas and when I was trying to cook and the kids were begging to dye eggs, she took over that too. The boys loved her being home. It also made me miss Tiffany and Brian more, but oh well.
A funny thing happened. Friday, I decided I needed to make a cheesecake for Easter. A big, fat New York style cheesecake. SO Shelby goes to the store for me and gets all the supplies. Keri and gang arrive Saturday night and I tell them about my plan, the cheesecake. Keri gets a big smile, nudges Merrill and whispers something to him. Later in the kitchen she tells me, "Today is Merrill's birthday. He didn't want you guys to know because he didn't want you to do anything."
What a horrible mother-in-law/sister-in-law/whatever-i-am to not know his birthday. I guess I'm still getting used to having new family members. Well anyways, what Keri had whispered to him earlier was, "See, and she didn't even know!" Merrill loves cheesecake, so it all turned out good and I didn't feel so bad about not knowing his birthday.
So the moral of this story is:
If you ever get the feeling to make a cheesecake,
DO IT!

In other news, We attended the annual Scholarship Banquet for Jacob's school last night. We hadn't been to one since Brian's 8th grade year and it hadn't changed a bit!
Same venue
Same food
Same principal
Same teachers
A great night to honor those kids who have worked so hard to do well EVERY quarter in school.
I am a proud mama.
Jacob really is such a smart kid and has an amazing teacher. He comes home everyday telling me something cool they've learned and he can't keep his nose out of a book. That's my boy! He always does his homework. I am so happy with the young man he is!
Tonight we went to Ezra's open house (we'll see if I get around to posting about that) and when we were looking in his desk Jacob told us the girls always clean his desk for him. I can't believe he already has other little women doing things for him. One of them he's been with since Kindergarden and she has always taken care of him. I need to keep an eye on him!
Probably both of them. Look at those handsome boys!!

Everything else is going great. Shelby is actually doing really well in Chemistry despite the level of difficulty. It looks like all the hours and hours and hours of studying might actually pay off. He way underestimates his abilities. I started new classes on the first. No more anatomy, so I guess I could get rid of those pictures;). I had my first test in one of my classes. I was a little stressed last night, but I had studied as much as I could. I was so relieved after I took the test. You definitely needed to know your stuff, but it was completely reasonable. In fact there was not a single question that stumped me. But we'll see how I did, I always seem to miss something. I'll find out in June if I actually get into the Nursing Program. I'm a little nervous, just because its going to be hard. I struggle with this a lot. I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, but its hard, really hard. So there's the part of me that doesn't want to get in because it would be easier to go back to day to day subbing at the school and not studying for tests. But then there's the other part that says "LOOK, life is hard! Look at what you've done and look at what your doing and this is just going to better in the end." And I'm good at this stuff. I've gotten all A's. Working and going to school and most importantly being a wife and mother, oh and let's not forget Church callings. And the amazing part is I'm not overwhelmed. Yes I have my days, but this morning instead of stressing about my test I had, I took the kids to school, came home and read my scriptures while I ate breakfast. Got myself ready for the day and went to school. And it's these little things that get me through. Putting my family first and my Heavenly Father and He and Shelby carry me through the rest. That's the ONLY way I'm able to do it, because it sure ain't me!

3 comments:

Carla said...

Don't you wish the kids would just come back to Bakersfield?! I do...

Your boys are handsome... you will have to watch out. But they're good boys so you won't have to watch too closely.

And I totally hear you with school. Tell me the second you find out whether you get into the nursing program. I'm totally sure you will... when you do, come over and we'll eat cheesecake together!

Papa Randy said...

Hooray for yhou and the nursing program. You go girl. I feel your pain about missing family members. There is nothing so painful as having family to far away for frequent visits. But we sure are thankful for those visits we they happen. I know it's almost redudnant and I say almost, but I think that's why the Lord has told us "Families are forever". Work real hard in mortality so we can have them "ALL" in ETERNITY!!!


ps my word verification was "Swell". Just like families!!

Rinez said...

What a terrific update! You were definitely inspired with the cheesecake. That's a wonderful story! You and Shelby are awesome as you wend your way through classes and tests and studies. The result will be worth it all! And. . . . I agree completely! Those boys of yours are very handsome and you'd better keep a close watch!