Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Canyonlands- The White Rim Trail Day 1, part two

There were many stops for refills of water and snacks. The weather was perfect, warm but not too warm.We even did a seat swap for Ezra. Here he is trying a different seat. I guess my Speedshe (a seat made for women) wasn't cutting it for my little man.


The famous Mussleman's Arch.
 It was little breezey and when you are 300 feet above the ground, even the bravest are a bit shaky.




I decided to check it out. This week I was going to conquer my fear of heights!
So I walked across it... Very carefully.

The boys wanted to do it again. Jacob saying "What?"
The boys snacking enjoying the view. This place is not called Canyonlands for nothing. There were literally canyons inside canyons inside canyons. So many layers to everything.
Ancient Indian carvings. Looks like they saw the future was in biking.
When we finally made it to camp, Ezra thought we should all go read on the rocks overlooking the canyon. Great idea!! We were going to sleep under the stars to avoid having to set up and tear down tents but the wind made us change our minds. It is no fun setting up tents in the wind but it would have been worse to fight the wind for our blankets.
We just brought our two small tents on this trip since we would be traveling to a new sight each day. Thanks to the Galyans we have a slightly larger small tent for Shelby and I. I guess I forgot to mention the White Rim Trail is a 100 mile loop around Canyonlands National Park in the back country near Moab, UT. You have to make reservations and get a permit to be on the trail and camp. The rules are crazy strict about staying on trails. There is no water and only Pit toilets about every 5-10 miles at the campsites. They told us if you have to pee between toilets to pee on the road because it is the most impacted. OK for the boys, not too great for me. Sorry, no pictures to go with that ;)
The sun setting on our first day.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Looks like fun! The boys are looking older and more mature, It's crazy!