Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Canyonlands- The White Rim Trail Day 1, part one

For our early Spring Break this year we ventured to a new place. We tried this trip a few years ago but Keri went and had a beautiful little girl that we got to go visit instead and the exit trail had been washed away during rain storms making it impassable. This year we met success. I'm going to try and wade through the hundreds of pictures taken and chronicle this amazing week.
Words and photos will not do justice to the amazing scenery, mental and physical anguish and victory of a 50 mile bike ride on day 2 (not so much for Shelby), and irreplaceable memories made during the week. But here is my attempt.

 We first took some pictures overlooking the canyons we were going to be entering just by the visitor's center.

 We could see the trail we would be on shortly. The men were all going to bike to our campsite about 16 miles while I drove the sub with all our supplies. This road is for high clearance 4-wheel drive vehicles only. The Saturday before Shelby and I went out into the foothills so I could practice my skills. I am terrified of heights and so lots of prayers were said. If I had a choice between falling off the cliff or scraping the mountain, let's just say I'm not that concerned with the look of my suburban, a few dents or scrapes would just add character.


 The beast is all ready to go!
 Shelby making sure the bikes are tuned up and ready to hit the trail.
 Happy Kid!

 All ready to go and off they go. Lots of the picture are through the windshield with this view. It was fun for me to see them ride together and I would have been more comfortable on a bike than maneuvering the beast through some of the sections of the trail but it was so worth it to watch and be ready with water and snacks.

 The trail we would be heading to at the bottom of one canyon and the trail we were on to the right near the top of the mesa.

A view of The La Sal mountains- at 12,000 feet they still had snow.
 This is Shafer trail. The sign at the Visitor's Center said this trail was wet and slick, but passable. Let's just say that made me just a little bit nervous and when I got to the hairpin turns I was even more nervous. Thank goodness it was not slick and not as steep as it looked once you made it around the turns and I will just say that I love 4 low.
 The bikes coming down Shafer.
And we made it out alive. I didn't fall off a cliff although that wouldn't be the only cliff hanging for me during the week. Doesn't that look fun! Look at the trail stretching out in front and the beautiful mesas.

 More to come!

No comments: